Friday, April 08, 2005

Foul deeds will rise ...

though all the earth overwhelm them to men's eyes" (Shakespeare's Hamlet)

Eric Rudolph has agreed to plead guilty to four bombings, including the one in Centennial Park during the 1996 Olympics. I was in downtown Atlanta at that time, and I am glad to see this man brought to justice.

If you have seen the video of the bombing in Atlanta, there is a parking garage in the background of the explosion. I was pulling out of that garage when I heard what sounded like a "flash-bang" firework - the kind they set off to make a big noise. I remember thinking, "that was one of two things: a firework -- which it can't be because the park is full of people or it was a ..." then I heard sirens wailing and Eric Rudolph by AP Photosaw police running down the street.

I turned the car around, and went back toward the park. I spent the night doing interviews, man-on-the-street profiles, and trying to stay out of the way of the police, who pepper sprayed some over-zealous reporters who were -- perish the thought -- trying to get into the press center.

Rudolph was charged with three other bombings, including at an abortion clinic and at a gay-lesbian night club. Now he's going to miss the death penalty, and will spend his life on the taxpayer's dime. But thank God he won't be making any more bombs.

No comments: