Saturday, July 30, 2005

In Vinca, Veritas!

So I took this picture of a planter on our front porch yesterday morning after it had rained.

I kept promising myself I would take the camera and try to capture some of the really beautiful things that God has provided all around me. So this is the first one. I am not really sure how to get a macro setting on the digital camera (I know how to use the old film one) but this was about as close as I could get and still maintain focus. I think it turned out pretty good (click on the photo for a better view).

The funny thing was, I put this photo into the Roxio Media editor I have and tried all kinds of textures and effects and other changes to try to make it "more artistic" but the more I played with it the more I didn't like it.

My efforts to "improve" on the simple beauty of God's creation were like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa; what God put there is beautiful enough and I can't really improve on it. I could only distort it.

There's a lesson in that somewhere. Sometimes I wonder if my attempts at "making it better" aren't more of a distortion than an improvement.


O God, O Good beyond compare,
If thus thy meaner works are fair,
If thus thy beauties gild the span,
of transient earth and sinful man,
How glorious must the mansion be,
Where thy redeemed shall dwell with thee!

-Henry Carey, 1723

No comments: