Thursday, January 18, 2007

Workin my last nerve!

There are some things that just niggle my last nerve. One of them is when other people have "a great idea" which of course they launch on me at the last minute. My work tends to do that a lot. Maybe I need a new job, or maybe I need to learn how to roll with things.

The Federal Government specializes in ridiculous stuff. Like the travel system where I work. They MAKE us use this thing - call E-2 - which I understand is the next-to-lowest rank in the military.

This thing is like playing Jenga - every choice you make has to be right or the whole thing can fall in. People have described it as E-2 hell. I think it's probably closer to purgatory.

Either way, it's frustrating. And expensive. The flight E2 came up with for me to go to Florida was EIGHT TIMES as expensive as one I could have gotten on Travelocity or Expedia. But that's because I have to get an open-ended ticket (no restrictions) and I am encouraged to use the contract carrier in this case American Airlines.

On top of that my boss thinks I'll have nothing to do while I'm on assignment - he keeps coming up with "requests" for stuff while I am there. I'll try to accommodate everyone's wishes, but somebody is going to get screwed. One person can only do so much, and everything takes time.

We have the technology to make the business easier. And there is NO WAY the Federal Government is going to come anywhere close to what even a local radio station provides for its people. But, I get to go. To the Super Bowl. Yeah, I know. But I'm going to work, not party. It's not a pleasure cruise. It's my job.

No comments: