Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Passages


creekfog
Originally uploaded by byrdmn2.
I learned this week that the wife of a missionary from my former church had died. She was young - and the couple has three children, the oldest of which is 15. Her husband now has two sons and a daughter to rear alone.

We can take comfort in the fact that this woman was a Christian, but that doesn't make the pain any less for her family and friends. It is the nature of Christian hope that this life is not the end, but I cried when I read the notice.

I guess I was thinking of how sad I would be if my wife were no longer there. I would be shattered. It would be the hardest thing I would ever have to face. I don't even like to think that my dog will someday die, even though I know that day is coming.

But hope says that this life is not all there is. Time and space are not the final determinants of existence. God is there in eternity, as He is here in time and space.

But the pain of separation causes a sense of loss. I guess a relationship wouldn't be worth anything if it didn't hurt to lose it.

If you think of it, pray for this man - his name is Al. He can use it now more than ever.

No comments: