Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Don't just leave him there ....

all stumpy! I mean have the decency to kill the guy. What am I talking about? I finally rented the last installment of the Star Wars hexad and I couldn't help but laugh.

When I was covering the Presidents Cup in September, a couple of photographers and were talking about his flick. One of the guys was like "I don't want to ruin it for you, but this is what happens ...." and he tells me about the fight on Mustafar between Obi-wan and Anikin.

See Obi slices the kid into little pieces and then he gets set on fire by the lava river. And Obi wan just leaves him there! He's giving Anikin this speech about being the chosen one and how he loved him like a brother, and all that, and meanwhile the poor bugger is lying there with no arms, no legs, and on fire. It was like Monty Python's Holy Grail where Arthur lops off all the black knight's extremities.

And I couldn't help but laugh at what this photog said. "If your going to slice him up like that, go ahead and kill the guy, don't just leave him there all stumpy!" So why didn't Obi Wan just whack Anikin and avoid this stuff? Don't know. I do know that I enjoyed the second DVD about how they made the flick more than I enjoyed the movie itself.

The amount of work that went into making just one minute of Episode III was amazing. It was humbling to see how many people got jobs because George Lucas wrote a story.

No comments: