Sunday, October 23, 2005

Let Justice Roll Down like Waters ....

Cornelia and I went on vacation to western North Carolina to check out some of the waterfalls there. Transylvania County (I am not kidding, that is the name) is called "the land of waterfalls," and the brochures do not lie.

This particular falls is Looking Glass Falls in the Pisgah National Forest. It is fed by Looking Glass Creek and is supposedly the most photographed falls in the county because -- of course -- it is the closest to the road. But the thing that stuck in my mind was the force of wind that the falling water created when it went over the rocks.

I was standing on the dock they have at the stream's edge there, and I could feel the wind that the waterfall made rushing past me. I guess I never thought about how much force that much water going over a cliff generates. And this was a relatively small waterfall. But the sound was enormous, even for a small falls.

I reminds me of the scripture above in Amos 5:24, where the prophet is upbraiding the people for their outward show of religion without any real repentance. The prophet says:

Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps. But let Justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream (Amos 5:23, 24).

The waterfall also reminded me of John's description of the voice of the resurrected Jesus in Rev. 1:15: His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.

When you stand next to one of these falls, all you can hear is that. Nothing else. Cornelia was calling to me from the shore at one place and I could not hear her for the sound of the waters. It was awesome. I will post some more photos later, including more waterfall shots and some others that I took during the trip. Enjoy.

No comments: